Needlepoint ( tapestry ) was one of the 1st items Merrilyn stitched as a child, a much used pot holder. As a child many dolls clothes for her beloved dolls were also lovingly cut out and hand sewn together.
In 1978 Merrilyn opened her 1st needlework/craft shop. With an artistic heritage and a passion for hand work this was the starting point for a long creative and rewarding journey with needle, threads and fabrics.
During the 1990’s Merrilyn published nine books. She travel extensively teaching and promoting the original designs she created in silk ribbon and wool embroidery. Attending trade shows and international conferences Merrilyn gave lectures and taught in New Zealand, USA, UK, Canada, and Asia. During this time Merrilyn also created special projects for many magazine articles including the 1st issue of Australia’s ‘Inspirations’ Magazine.
Merrilyn’s greatest compliment is that the flowers she designed with silk ribbon have been the inspiration for other designers whose work appears in kits, books and magazine articles all around the world.
All needlepoint and embroidery are designed as she stitches, no computer used.
Very rarely is a diagram or plan drawn out, just a colour pallet of threads, the fabric or canvas, and stitching is commenced.
The gardens of Tasmania. Four distinct seasons provided by the wonderful temperate climate delivers an evolving array of inspirational subjects.
A few years ago Merrilyn returned to the country side of her childhood in Northern Tasmania. Gardening, taking an interest in the activities of farm life, especially at lambing time, cooking, preserving fruit, are all pleasurable parts of her day but her true love and passions is embroidery.
- 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Needlepoint Now Magazine
- 2015 Needle Pointers Magazine
- 1992-2002 Over 30 pieces were specifically designed and stitched for magazines including Instirations and for company advertisements in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA and UK.
- American Needlepoint Guild Inc.
- Embroiderers’ Guild of America
- Embroiderer’s Guild of Tasmania Inc.
- Australian Lace Guild – Tasmanian Branch (founding member).
- Toastmasters International
- Rotary International